Propshafts and differentials
You may also be interested in:
Propshafts and differentials: used and new near you from private and commercial sellers
Differentials distribute engine torque between axles and wheels. Propshafts transmit it from a transfer case or gearbox to the rear axle drive.
Types of differentials:
- Wheel differentials. These are built into the gearbox and/or rear axle drive. They allow right and left wheels to rotate at different speeds. They are installed on all cars.
- Centre differentials. They distribute torque between axles. They can be found only in all-wheel-drive vehicles.
Propshafts can be single-piece, two- and three-piece. They are defined by the number of bearings used for their support.
Faulty mechanisms make the steering response and manoeuvrability worse. Sometimes, if the propshaft stops transmitting torque to the drive wheels, the engine might stall when you drive.
Signs of malfunction:
- Gears change with a clanging sound.
- Oil leaking around seals, bearings, and gaskets.
- Creaking sounds and vibration during acceleration.
All breakdowns should be repaired as soon as possible. Regular lubrication of the yoke and timely replacement of individual elements extend the mechanism’s lifespan.
To save on repairs and maintenance, you can buy used car parts. For this, take full advantage of AUTODOC Classifieds.
Our online platform offers:
- Selection of new and used components by vehicle make, model, and version.
- Search for private and commercial sellers near you.
- Free placing of classifieds for component sale.